Tuesday 9 February 2010

Earliest memories of Mary Elizabeth Postell Ralston (around 1902-1904)

We lived near Grandfather (Elisha Postell) and Grandmother (Elizabeth Lunsford Postell) when I was 3-4 years old. I can remember living down in the Nantahala Gorge on a small stream called Rolling Creek. This little creek was right back of our house, and “Uncle” William and “Aunt” Minnie Postell lived on the mountainside just above our house. Their old house is still standing, and one can see their old barn and stately old apple trees just after crossing Topton Gap down into the Gorge.

While we lived in this small house, my sister Margaret (Maggie) and I had the chicken pox, and on June 13, 1905, Maudie Cecil was born. Grandmother and Grandfather Postell lived about 1 ½ miles farther down and up in a mountain cove. There is where I dearly loved to go and spend the night – I got quite a lot of attention and petting.

Once we lived over in the next cove over the hill in a log house; I can just barely remember it. That is where I was bitten by a copperhead snake on the ankle when I was only 2 years old…I remember nothing about this incident, but I do remember having a new baby sister (Maggie) born there on August 6, 1902! I had a little handmade rocking chair which I prized very highly. I liked to rock in it, and when the neighbors dropped in to see the new baby, Mother would have me to sing my little song for them “I’ll Away to the Sabbath School.” My way of singing it was, “Holloway, holloway to the Sabbuf school.” I’m sure they thought that very cute of me. I really can remember rocking and singing this little song. Mother and Father were good singers, took a great delight in singing at church and camp meetings (I was told this in later years by my mother’s brother, John Robinson).

Written by Mary P. Ralston around 1976.

Here are the words to Grandma's "Sabbath School" song:

1 When the morning light drives away the night,
With the sun so bright and full,
And it draws its line near the hour of nine,
I'll away to the Sabbath school.
For 'tis there we all agree,
All with happy hearts and free,
And I love to early be
At the Sabbath school:

GIRLS. BOYS. GIRLS. BOYS.
Chorus.--I'll away! a-way! I'll away! a-way!
[BOTH.] I'll away to Sabbath school!

2 On the frosty dawn of a winter's morn,
When the earth is wrapped in snow,
Or the summer breeze plays round the trees,
To the Sabbath school I go.
When the holy day has come,
And the Sabbath breakers roam,
I delight to leave my home,
For the Sabbath school: I'll away, &c.

3 In the class I meet with the friends I greet,
At the time of morning prayer;
And our hearts we raise in a hymn of praise,
For 'tis always pleasant there:
In the Book of holy truth,
Full of counsel and reproof,
We behold the guide of youth,
At the Sabbath school: I'll away, &c.

4 May the dews of grace fill the hallow'd place,
And the sunshine never fail;
While each blooming rose which in memory grows
Shall a sweet perfume exhale:
When we mingle here no more,
But have met on Jordan's shore,
We will talk of moments o'er,
At the Sabbath school: I'll away, &c.

No comments: